Sunday, September 2, 2012

the grotto . . . and strawberries

I returned to my favorite tree in The Grotto for the first time since last spring :) Through prayer and reflection and Scripture and several sound theological books that I return to constantly, I was able to sort though thoughts and emotions from the week, present them before the cross, and leave The Grotto feeling restored and inspired for the coming week.
It's amazing how emotionally attached we can get to certain places. In this case, a physical, geographic place. I tried to spend my Sunday afternoon in my room, but my thoughts were cloudy and my emotions were in a state of turmoil and the guys that live a few apartment away from me were blasting their modern pop music and a movie was being watched in my living room and I was a restless mess.
Walking to "my spot" in The Grotto changed all of that. It was peaceful and quiet. I was sitting under a tree instead of on a carpeted floor. I was "free" to release everything that was going on in my head and heart and work through it in light of the gospel.
Aside from the environmental change though, there was also something encouraging and restoring about returning to the place that I had met with the Lord so many times last year and looking again at the small wooden cross that I spent hours drawing last year.
While, I should be careful to never become so attached to a physical location that I cannot meet with my Savior wherever I may be (adding a stiff face to a pirouette will soon require it to be there in order for you to turn*), there is also something valuable in entering a place that is set aside and reserved for a particular and, in this case, eternal purpose. Just as walking into the Chapel on Wednesday mornings in high school was a time to prepare your heart and mind for the worship of your Savior and release anything else that may be presently engaging your head or heart.


On a totally different note, this Sunday afternoon snack was wonderful :)
strawberries, dark chocolate and blueberry Greek yogurt 
once again, yay for having my own kitchen and buying my own food :) 

*a note from a guest ballet teacher last year

No comments: