Thursday, September 20, 2012

Father, How Sweet

I'm addicted to this song right now...

VERSE 1 
Father, how sweet must be the pleasure 
You find in Your eternal Son 
For long before You made the heavens 
Both You and He rejoiced as one 
And long before You formed the angels 
Before You made the day and night 
Jesus exulted in Your presence 
And He was all of Your delight 

VERSE 2 
Father, what love You’ve shown to rebels 
That You would send Your Son so dear 
Into this world of grief and trouble 
To bring unworthy sinners near 
We’ll never fathom how it pained You 
When You supplied the offering 
To rescue those who had disdained You 
To watch Your dear Son suffering 

VERSE 3 
Jesus, it fills our hearts with wonder 
That You would leave Your heavenly place 
To take on flesh to thirst and hunger 
To save the ones who spurned Your grace 
You came to forfeit every mercy 
To die that mercy we would find 
And then You hung alone in darkness 
So in our hearts Your grace would shine 

VERSE 4 
Jesus, in glory You’ve ascended 
Never again to leave Your throne 
Because of You we are befriended 
Received and welcomed as God’s own 
Father, how sweet now is Your pleasure 
In us, Your daughters and Your sons 
We will delight in You forever 
In Jesus You have made us one 

Credits: 
Music and words by Mark Altrogge 
© 2012 Sovereign Grace Praise (BMI)

          ~Father, How Sweet, From Age to Age (Sovereign Grace Music) 


This album came out in the spring. I don't personally like some of the tracks because they're hymns with altered music (there's probably a much more accurate way to say that, but I have no idea what it is). I loved learning hymns when I started going to New Covenant Christian School. I love the depth, richness of the lyrics, but I also like the arrangement of the music. So, I'm not of big fan of rearranging the music. Also, I just have an issue with altering things from their original state, whether that be fairy tales or music or really anything else. I think this stems from living for and by an eternally stable and unchanging standard. However, I've been learning about the inevitability of change and the potential beauty of artistic representation, but I'll save that for another post. Anyway, there are also a few tracks from this album that I love (From Age to Age, Immovable Our Hope Remains*, Father How Sweet). 

*I've never heard the original version of this hymn, but I'm guessing I would probably like it better :) 

                          

No comments: