Thursday, August 30, 2012

classes

Classes have begun.
Yesterday was wonderful. I was rather apprehensive about choreography because I much prefer to be told what steps to perform, where exactly my head and arms should be at any given moment and what emotion/character I should be displaying. However, I was quite pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed the first class and all of the though-provoking questions we discussed. I already have some ideas for choreography and I'm really excited about making an inspiration book (one of our long-term assignments for the class). Then I had 18th Century Literature and Restoration which I've been terribly excited about since last spring when I was first told that I was approved to take a class even though I'm not an English major...yet. (Hopefully, I will be in the next few months). The first class was wonderful. We discussed the many, many books we will be reading, research projects we will be presenting on life in the 18th Century, and 12+ page papers we will be writing. Everything I missed so much last year is back and all in one class on my favorite time period :) :) :) My last class on Wednesday was ballet. My teacher is the new professor (in the Dance Department) and I'm really excited to have her this trimester. She has a lot of energy and enthusiasm and also makes you work to the best of your ability all the time. There was such a drastic difference for me between my first ballet class last year and my first ballet class this year. Last year, I didn't know anyone and was therefore full of nervous energy and really shaky. This year, I was calm and comfortable and actually pretty balanced. Last year, I hadn't danced for most of the summer so everything hurt and felt/looked terrible. This year, I had been dancing all summer and working gently, but firmly with my hip and felt like I had so much more control over my body. Overall, I was really encouraged by how much I have grown in the last year and I'm excited to continue that progression this year.
Today, however, was another story. I started Human Anatomy and Physiology today, and, while I'm already encouraged by how much better this teacher is at presenting things in an organized manner than my Functional Human Biology teacher was, I'm not at all excited for the hours I will spend every day trying to memorize every muscle and its action and its origin and its insertion. This will be a course that I really have to dedicate a lot time to even though I would rather being doing my 18th Century homework.
I start Jazz tomorrow (it's only a Monday/Friday course). I don't know what to think about that yet. It's definitely current jazz and I much prefer old school jazz. Also, I met with the teacher who oversees the theater, where I do my work study, and he already gave me a verbal list of every prop and set piece we will be building this year and all of it's components.
It's going to be a busy year, but I'm excited for most it :)

No comments: