Thursday, August 23, 2012

my kitchen

One of my favorite things about my apartment thus far is being able to shop for and eat my own food instead of being limited to a cafeteria. As far as cafeterias go, Mercyhurst's is actually rather nice. There is a pretty good assortment of food and always a few relatively healthy options, but lunches were the worst for me last year. The whole wheat bread in our cafeteria still had a lot of junk in it and the lunch meat was full of preservatives and there weren't many other lunch options besides tuna and chicken salad that were 50% mayonnaise, pizza, and soup (which was sometimes tolerable and sometimes not). I ended up eating a lot of peanut butter and honey sandwiches last year. 
This year I'm still eating dinner in my cafeteria, but I'm buying my own breakfast and lunch food. Today I'm actually eating peanut butter and honey again, but this time it is100% Whole Wheat Honey Apple Oat bread with minimal preservatives and sweetened with honey instead of sugar, all-natural peanut butter, honey, carrots, and sugar snap peas (because they're delicious and fresh) and a glass of water :)
Also, it's really nice to walk into the kitchen and eat food instead of putting on shoes, a coat, a scarf and gloves (depending upon the time of year, of course) and walking across campus to get food. 


No comments: