Tuesday, August 21, 2012

picture of the day

Last year my aunt asked for more pictures of college so I started texting her a 'picture of the day' each day (e.g. rain falling on my rain boots, the sunset, my dinner plate). She usually texted me a picture from her day as well. She said that she loved getting snapshots of my daily life and I loved keeping up with what was going on in her life. However, during this summer, almost every conversation I had at some point turned to the fact that keeping in touch with friends and family from home was really hard and rarely happened last year. It was incredibly encouraging to know that so many people still wanted to be involved in/updated about my life and I desperately wanted to stay in better contact with them. Maintaining more consistent contact with dear friends and family from home became one of my resolutions for this fall. One of the ways that I would like to keep this resolution is to move my 'picture of the day' to my blog. I'm not a photographer so the pictures will not necessarily be particularly artistic, but that's not their purpose. Their purpose is to give a little glimpses of my college life. For a while these pictures will mostly be pictures of my apartment because I adore my apartment and decorating it :)

Decoration Project #1

I saw on Pinterest* a piece of burlap in a picture frame to be used a write-on, wipe-off board. I immediately wanted to make one for my dorm room.

*I wonder how many recent blog posts on the web start this way :P

I went to several consignment shops and finally found a vintage frame (with flowers) in a good size for $7. I managed to get all of the large staples out of the frame with my awesome purple pliers (my dad got me a purple tool kit last year as a going-away-to-college gift) and without any mishaps or injuries. However, no one would believe I actually completed a project on my own if I didn't have an injury to prove it so, of course when I stood the frame up, the glass fell out and scraped my arm.

 

I decided to frame a pink floral fabric instead of burlap because in my mind fabric equals floral :) Several little tubes of super glue later, the picture was removed, the fabric was framed and brown paper was glued to the back of the frame.


The finished project now resides on my desk. (Nails aren't allowed in college apartment walls.) 


Consignment shopping, crafting, and vintage floral definitely beats cheesy white write-on, wipe-off board and wasn't any more expensive :) 

No comments: