Monday, June 6, 2011

prayer

"..for prayer is communion with a transcendent and immanent God who on the ground of his nature and attributes calls forth all the powers of the redeemed soul in acts of total adoration and dedication." ~Arthur Bennett 

communion- "fellowship; a state of giving and receiving" ~Noah Webster, 1828 dictionary 

transcendent- "[L. transcendens.] very excellent; superior or supreme in excellence; surpassing others" ~Noah Webster, 1828 dictionary 

immanent- "[L. in and manens, maneo, to abide.] inherent; intrinsic; internal" ~Noah Webster, 1828 dictionary

on the ground of his nature and attributes- because of who he is 

total- "[L. totalis, totus.] whole; full; complete/ whole; not divided" ~Noah Webster, 1828 dictionary

acts of total adoration and dedication- acts of service out of love 

God requires all of me to be fully and completely devoted to him. Prayer should not become part of my day, like eating or going to ballet, but must instead envelop my day. 

"I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time, waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God, it changes me." ~C.S. Lewis 

No comments: