Wednesday, October 27, 2010

marble

My class went to Washington D.C. for a field trip this past Friday. Every time I go to D.C. I am amazed at how many things I haven't yet seen, but more importantly, how many things I see differently the second or third time. This time, as we toured the Capitol building, I was really struck by the marble statues that decorated the greater part of each room we saw. If you stood close enough, you could even see the veins on the statue's hands. Now think about that for a moment. Out of a very hard block of stone, an artist chipped and chiseled until he had created the image of a person so detailed you could see the veins in its hands and so life-like that it looked as if the person had just been standing there and was suddenly turned to stone by the White Witch. These artists are truly amazing. If these external representations of man leave me in such awe, how much more amazed should I be when I look at the One who made man himself and gave man all these awe-inspiring gifts? How great is our God?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved this. So true! I often forget to marvel at the beauty, and appreciate the work of His hands.
Maddie