Tuesday, January 7, 2014

heritage

Today in 21st Century Literature we discussed Graphic Novels. We were then given a short amount of time to create our own panel in the style of a graphic novel that portrayed our personal ethnic heritage. For the most part I am a product of the Great American Melting Pot. However, some small aspects of my parents' heritage still color their behaviors and preferences. So . . . this is what I drew :)


I chose to make the setting the kitchen because this where such encounters occurred, but also because much of family life and many of my childhood memories took place in the kitchen. My mom has quite a bit of Italian in her and she is always telling my siblings and me that you can put garlic in almost any dish :P My dad has quite a bit of Scottish in him and he doesn't talk nearly as much as my mom, but he often plays music that includes bagpipes. In past couple of years, he has played it on his smart phone, but, in our old house, we used to have a boom box in the kitchen for playing music :)

No comments: