Tuesday, June 11, 2013

impatience


I found a treasure trove of quotes on Sunday night. A family from my "home" church in Maryland, that my family has known since I was about 2 years old, had my family and few other people over to their house. I was sitting at the kitchen table when I saw a little cardstock "book" of quotes. Another lady from church (who has known my parents since they were all in college) had compiled this collection of quotes herself as a gift. I read the first quote and immediately felt the beautifully piercing sense of conviction that just takes over your whole body sometimes. This is that quote. 

"Impatience is a form of unbelief. It's what begin to feel when we start to doubt the wisdom of God's timing or the goodness of God's guidance. It springs up in our hearts when our plan is interrupted or shattered. . . . The opposite of impatience is not a glib denial of loss. It's a deepening, ripening, peaceful willingness to wait for God in the unplanned place of obedience, and to walk with God at the unplanned pace of obedience - to wait in his place and go at his pace." ~John Piper

As I continued to flip through the book, I found so many valuable pieces of truth. I took pictures of the quotes on my phone so that I can copy them into my own "quote/thought book" this week :) 
It is so incredible to be able to share in the beauty of truths that were compiled through years of reading and passed on from one lady in my church to another. 
I don't know where I'll be in the next years of my life - and it will most likely not be Maryland. Wherever it is, though, I want to be part of a community of people that desires to enrich one another's lives by sharing truth with one another. 

No comments: