Thursday, June 6, 2013

foundations


I've been slowly working on memorizing Hebrews 11 (since I never did in high school). The Lord has been bringing the verses about Abraham back to my mind throughout this week in conversations with family and friends and while reading blog posts. 

 "By faith Abraham obeyed when we was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. By faith he went to live in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, heirs with him of the same promise. For he was looking forward to a city that has foundations whose designer and builder is God." (Hebrews 11:8-10)

Personally, I don't even like completing a small task without knowing the exact details of the end result. Abraham went out not knowing where he was going. I just keep repeating that to myself. He had no idea where he was going. 
On the other hand, he knew that he was looking to a city that has foundations. Being halfway through college, I've had quite a few people ask me about my post-college plans in the last two weeks. I have a few thoughts  but, mostly, I don't really know. This week, though, it has been beautifully reassuring to be reminded that I don't have to have an American city (or any earthly city for that matter) in mind. I just need to be constantly looking to the city that has foundations. 

No comments: