Thursday, April 18, 2013

forgotten ideas


"Every composer knows the anguish and despair occasioned by forgetting ideas which one had no time to write down." 
~Hector Berlioz 

That moment when you come up with a brilliant sentence, but, by the time you find a pen and paper, you can't remember it at all. You go back through your thoughts again and again, but you just can't find the sentence anywhere. Yeah, that happens in choreography too. Insert "choreographer" into the quote above and you get a glimpse of my life over the past year. Okay, that may be a bit dramatic, but I can say that I have frequently met with this experience. I just start dancing to music and then, at some point, I create some movement that I really like. I stop and try to repeat it and can't seem to quite replicate it. Sometimes I do manage to replicate it, but then I try to do again a few days later and it doesn't feel right anymore. I'm beginning to think that improvisation would actually be a lot less exasperating than choreography . . . 

No comments: