Wednesday, January 12, 2011

life

A long time ago (actually just about two years ago), when I wasn't busy all the time, I used to read the therebelution blog rather frequently. At one point they were blogging on life and death and they said the following: "We don't hold our lives. We can't avoid death...We need to change our thinking from "I'm invincible because I'm young" to "I'm invincible until God calls me home." ...God's timing is perfect." I've kept this quote on my wall ever since. The first sentence is striking because I struggle daily with wanting to take control of my own life and, therefore, not trusting God. The fact that I don't control my existence is probably the most blatant example there is for my lack of control. The second sentence only further proves my powerless state. Not only do I have no control over my existence, I also have no control over my time on earth and I can't do anything to change that. The last part of the quote is equally striking. Life on earth isn't permanent, it's temporary. Often I become convicted of trying to plan too far ahead and not trusting God's sovereign plan. But maybe I'm not looking far enough ahead. Maybe I need to stop thinking about five years from now and start thinking about eternity. Finally, no matter what happens, "...God's timing is perfect."

No comments: