Friday, January 21, 2011

future

I have been so worried about the next few years of my life and how they will shape the rest of my life. I have been worried about which decisions will be wise and beneficial, what paths will potentially follow each decision, and what factors should or could play into making these decisions. All of these worries are good things to contemplate. The problem is that they are worries in the first place. My youth pastor taught last night on the concept of worry and I'm pretty sure it was the most convicting and yet best thing I could have heard at this point in my life. At one point he asked us: "How can we trust God with the eternity of our lives and entirely depend on Him for our salvation and yet not trust Him in the little things of life?". I think the reason we don't trust Him in the little things is because we feel like we can or do have some level of control in those situations. How arrogantly presumptuous is it though for me to think that, in any given situation, I could handle it better than God or that I have a better idea of what the outcome should be? I worry because I don't trust God. I don't trust God because I'm too consumed in myself. At the point at which I understand how entirely dependant I am upon God and how entirely helpless my state is, I will cease to worry. And when I stop worrying about the future, I can enjoy the present and all of the beautiful things God is doing right now. I've been thinking so much about what might happen that I haven't been enjoying right now. I don't have to wait to know what is happening with my life next year to see God's hand at work, to know God's plan. His plan is happening right now and it's just the way He has determined it should be.

2 comments:

Cyndi said...

How True, how true. Love your blog, keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to your aunt. And I just came through that season, so I know what you're feeling to some extent. You're in my prayers, girl.