Tuesday, May 7, 2013

climbing slowly up the mountain (and enjoying the rush of looking down every once in a while)


I very much enjoyed being in the ballet this weekend. Corps de ballet work is always challenging, I enjoy stage acting and Fille is particularly turn-oriented ballet (jumps come much easier to me so I definitely had to work on the consistency of my turns). All three of these things definitely made the process valuable.

However, I think I equally enjoyed performing in the contemporary piece that I performed in yesterday. Contemporary movement fits my body type much better and and it's beginning to feel much more natural.

Another dancer in my sophomore class came up to me after the contemporary performance and told me that she thought my movement style has definitely developed over the past two years and she just wanted to let me know that she's enjoyed watching that progress. It was so nice of her to tell me that and I was certainly incredibly thankful to hear that from her.

I will always love ballet, but it's rather exciting to see all the other genres of dance that I haven't really explored yet, but do have the physical capacity to explore.

I started out last year firmly rooted in classical ballet and not too interested in personally performing much else.
I performed a very modern piece this past winter with 5 other girls that definitely changed my view of modern and my view of myself as dancer.
I just finished a contemporary piece that I got to have a little solo in. (The show may or may not have started with me on the floor in a spotlight.)

Next up . . .performing a modern solo in Maryland in a few weeks that I'm choreographing myself :) (gah!)

No comments: