Saturday, February 9, 2013

less backwards


This is THE piece. 
The piece that gave me all of the bruises, wounds and marley burns. The piece that pushed me to point of exhaustion day after day. The piece that forced me to grow in so many ways as a dancer in just two weeks. The piece that allowed me to finally say that I can/could be a modern dancer. The piece that asked me to abandon all attachment to being a beautiful, elegant ballerina. The piece that I didn't think I could get through, let alone perform. 
The piece that I did perform.
 The piece that I actually got complimented on performing by several good modern dancers. 
The piece that finally gave me enough arm strength to do push ups :P 
The piece that I finally understood physically, mentally and emotionally in last minutes of the piece during the last time I performed it--I was probably the most physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted I've ever been in my life, but I still distinctly remember the feeling I had as I rolled onto to my back, crawled along the floor, slowly stood up and bent over backwards with the lights fading to black. 

A Life Less Backwards, Raw Edges 2013 
photo credit: Kaylyn Stack 


No comments: