Tuesday, June 8, 2010

thoughtless mortal

In the little stuying I did manage accomplish while preparing for finals, I came across a quote that I had copied into my binder. "Oh, thoughtless mortals ever blind to fate, too soon dejected, and too soon elate!" This comes from The Rape of the Lock, a mock-epic, which humorously reflects on many painful truths. I find this quote to be especially fitting today. As I think of the things for which I have been excited and things that have caused me to become angry, I am disgusted at how many of them have little or no eternal value. Interesting how, after thinking and therefore diminishing my thoughtlessness, I gain a better sense of my emotions. My emotions are excited too easily when a sinful habit is involved. Yet, when it comes to glorifying and enjoying God, serving others, etc. I find a general lack of emotion. Desires generally produce strong emotions and so it appears that an evaluation of my desires is in order...

2 comments:

Katie said...

I could be annoying and go "INTJJJJJJJ!!!!!" but I won't.

this blog is beautiful and I LOVE the clever titles... have you always used so many ellipses?

Rachel Elizabeth said...

haha, yes...I guess...
I like the fact that it suggests an unfinished thought rather than a completed statement. I have used ellipses more in my journals than in my other writing.